Monday, April 23, 2012

Week Sixteen in Review

I can't believe it's already past the midway point in April.  I feel like just yesterday was January.  Man, time is flying.  It flew so fast I forgot to post over the weekend.  I do have a good excuse though.  My friend Liz was in from Birmingham and we were having too much fun catching up and enjoying the Dogwood Festival to bother posting on the blog. 

Last week was fairly tame.  I finished the first second fifteenth draft of a curriculum I've been working on practically since I started at the Coalition.  Of course, no one else has seen the full thing yet so there may be fifteen more drafts before it's finished. :-)  It does feel good having that accomplished though.  Now I can focus on the smaller pieces of the project that will accompany the larger curriculum.  Yay for productivity!!

In other work related news, I applied for a new job last Monday.  My current job knows and is supportive.  The project I am working on is funded through a grant that ends the end of November.  There is not another grant looming on the horizon that will take its place so I'm at a crossroads.  I don't want to mention any specifics yet since I've just applied but it would mean stability for at least 5 years (assuming no crazy budget slashing in Congress), less travel, and slightly more money.  While I hate to leave work in the field of violence against women,  I have to take care of myself. 

Spiritually I was struck by a couple of things last week.  First, I absolutely LOVE the schizophrenic nature of the Psalms.  I love that I worship and serve a God big enough to handle my mad rantings one minute and my loving adoration the next.  Every single person can find something in the Psalms that resonates.  I always recommend the Psalms for new believers (and non-Christians too) because they are so honest.  If anyone's interested, I have a great 30 day reading plan for the Psalms that my momma shared with me many, many years ago.  Great way to ease into daily Bible reading.  Read the selected psalms each day and by the end of the month, you have a new habit formed. ;-)

Eating-wise it was a mixed bag.  I made healthy choices most of the week but will admit not paying attention to food choices over the weekend.  Got back on the healthier bandwagon last night and will attempt to stay on it this week.  I realized again while visiting with my friend Liz that for me, eating healthy is a matter of obedience and making poor food choices is a sin - it's just like someone else struggling with obsessive shopping or gossip.  I have come to the realization that it isn't about a diet, willpower or even a lifestyle.  It's a spiritual battle that must be fought the same way any other battle is fought, with prayer and submission to God's desire for my life.  The lower body weight and healthier overall body are bonuses. :-)

You know, I have no idea who reads these posts or if anyone reads them.  I do know however that I enjoy writing them and that's what matters.  Hopefully something I say will encourage you somewhere along the way.  Until next week or  my next post...

No comments: