Friday, April 6, 2012

Just a Minute - Book Review


I have been eagerly awaiting "Just a Minute" by Wess Stafford, the President of Compassion International since I heard it was coming out.  This book is snapshot of "minutes" in the lives of children both famous and not-so-famous.  It is interspersed with stories from Stafford's own childhood.  Some I remembered from his other book, "Too Small to Ignore" but others were brand new.

Every single person who has a child, works with children or has ever been a child needs to read this book. Stafford repeatedly shows the importance of our interactions with kids. We lament quite often about how horrible "this generation of kids are turning out to be" yet we do nothing to pour into their lives. Stafford reminds us that any interaction with a child is an important moment in that child's life. Many of the encounters the book recounts weren't even remembered by the adult who was pouring into the child but spoke volumes into the life of the person retelling the story.  It was a sharp reminder that children are sponges - they remember the good we do and say but they remember the negative things said or done to them far longer.  Ever since I finished the book, I've looked at interactions with children differently - even though I love children, this book changed my heart a bit.  I've made a conscious effort to smile at each child I've seen over the last two weeks or so.  They don't know why I'm smiling but I do and that's what matters.

I will say the book is a little disjointed in some of the stories but I got over that little quirk. Stafford's writing style makes you feel like he's sitting across from you telling the stories.  This is easily one of the most important books I have read in a long time.  I can't recommend it highly enough.

Note: C. Grant and Company (Moody Publishers) gave me a free copy of this book in exchange for my fair and honest review.

Score:  5 bookmarks out of 5.

No comments: