Sunday, April 8, 2012

Beatuy for Ashes - A Book Review



Book Description:  After losing her husband in the Civil War, Carrie Daly is scared she will never have the family she longs for. Eligible bachelors are scarce in Hickory Ridge, Tennessee, but Carrie has found love. Not the weak-in-the-knees kind, but something practical. Still, she isn't quite ready to set a wedding date with Nate Chastain.

Griff Rutledge is a former member of Charleston society, but has been estranged from his family for years. He's determined to remain unattached, never settling in one place for too long. But when asked to train a thoroughbred for an upcoming race in Hickory Ridge, he decides to stay awhile.

Despite objections from the townsfolk, and her fear that true happiness has eluded her, Carrie is drawn to Griff's kindness and charm. It will take a leap of faith for them to open their hearts and claim God's promise to give beauty for ashes.

Synopsis:  Carrie Daly is a Civil War Widow living in Hickory Ridge, TN.  Sh has shed her widow's black but isn't convinced she's found love in her new fiance Nate Chastain.  When Nate betrays her by marrying someone else, Carrie is forced to make some difficult decisions.  The hardest one is moving in with her sister-in-law and her sons while her brother moves to Chicago for work.  Carrie begins to build a relationship with Griff Rutledge, a man new to Hickory Ridge that most people in town view with suspicion.  Not caring what people think, Carrie begins to fall in love with Griff.  The feeling is mutual, much to Griff's surprise.  As the novel continues, Griff and Carrie's relationship continues to blossom.  Could both Carrie and Griff have found love?  Read the book to find out...:-)

Review:  Dorothy Love is another new author I'm glad to have found.  I loved her way with words - I could picture her characters in my head and disliked certain characters based almost entirely on their descriptions.  The story is a sweet tale of love triumphing over tragedy.  Dorothy Love keeps the story moving with several twists I didn't see coming.  I found myself rooting for Griff and Carrie.  I wanted things to work out for them.  This book definitely kept me intrigued and toward the end I just wanted to be left alone to finish it.  I recommend this book to anyone who loves historical fiction and/or loves a good love story.

Score:  3.5 bookmarks out of 5.

Note:  Thomas Nelson Publishers gave me a free copy of this book in exchange for my fair and honest review.

No comments: