Saturday, February 4, 2012

Love On The Line - Book Review


Back of the Book:  Rural switchboard operator Georgie Gail is proud of her independence in a man's world ... which makes it twice as vexing when the telephone company sends a man to look over her shoulder.  Dashing Luke Palmer is more than he appears though. He's a Texas Ranger working undercover to infiltrate a notorious gang of train robbers. Repairing telephones and tangling with this tempestuous woman is the last thing he wants to do. But when his stakeout puts Georgie in peril, he realizes more than his job is on the line.


Synopsis: Georgie Gail is a switchboard operator living in Texas in the early 1900’s. She loves her job and her community. She definitely has an independent streak, doing a “man’s job” while living alone as a single woman. Into her idyllic world comes Luke Palmer, an undercover TX Ranger. Luke is working as telephone lineman and becomes Georgie’s boss. Luke’s plan is to gain enough intelligence in the town to lead him to the notorious Frank Comer train robbing gang. He befriends town members and at the same time, annoys Georgie no end. She’s not used to having someone looking over her shoulder. As Luke spends more time in the town, both Luke and Georgie lower their defenses and befriend each other. A crisis in Georgie’s life brings her and Luke closer together. Note…stopping synopsis here to avoid giving away the ending.:-)

My Review: I loved this book! I had never read anything by Deanne Gist before but I’m glad I took the chance. The storyline was interesting and once I got started, I wanted to keep reading. Georgie Gail is a strong independent woman without being overbearing and annoying. You also got to see her tender side, caring for birds outside her home and for Bettina, the daughter of the town drunk. I can identify with her independent, progressive “before her time” personality. I also liked Luke’s character; though gruff and serious, he cares deeply about his job and grows to care deeply for Georgie. Gist has created a mix of a mystery and romance that is quite entertaining. The story had enough intrigue to keep me reading and wanting more. I also started thinking about a twist midway through the novel and lo and behold, Gist threw in the twist. I also appreciate a story that finishes strong like this one does. Instead of forcing the ending, Gist ends the story and then includes an epilogue instead of having to reach too far. This also reads more like a regular fiction novel rather than a syrupy, sappy romance novel. The book also manages to have spiritual overtones without being preachy or unrealistic. Good book and I can’t wait to find more of Gist’s work.

Score: 4.5 bookmarks out of 5.

Note:  Bethany House Publishers provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for my fair and honest review.

No comments: