Sunday, August 5, 2012

Travelers Rest - A Book Review


From the Back:  Jane Morrow has a dilemma and love alone may not solve it.  Her faith has never been been strong yet somehow she hopes God will answer her prayers and tell her what to do.  The answer she finds may not be at all what she expected...

Synopsis:  Jane Morrow and Seth Ballentine are engaged when Seth is paralyzed by a sniper while serving in Iraq.  The novel opens with Jane visiting Seth for the first time in the North Carolina VA rehab hospital where he is recuperating.  Seth is understandably depressed and works to convince Jane to break off the engagement.  While at the hospital, Jane meets Dr. Truman Rockaway, a retired doctor who still serves his country by visiting recovering soldiers.  Truman and Jane get to know each other and Jane gets glimpses into Truman's painful past.  Jane also meets Jon-Paul Pearcy, a blind disability lawyer who offers his services to the soldiers.  As the story develops, Jane's relationship with Seth continues to deteriorate.  To avoid spoiling this great story, I'm stopping here. :-)

My Review: This is the second of Tatlock's books I have read and reviewed and she is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors.  I absolutely love her story-telling style.  Like her other book, reviewed here, her characters are interesting and enjoyable and Tatlock expertly weaves their stories together.  In Travelers Rest, the plot isn't pretty - Seth is struggling and his pain is real.  Jane isn't sure how to help and that uncertainty comes through eloquently.  You can feel the emotions the two are struggling with.  The subplot with Truman just adds to that emotional complexity.  I love that although the book ends happily, the story takes twists and turns that kept me guessing.  I finished this book in less than a day.  While I was at the beach and not distracted by work and life, this still should be fair warning that you will be sucked in by this story.  I'm definitely going on a hunt for more of Tatlock's books.

Score: 4.5 bookmarks out of 5

Note:  Bethany House Publishers gave me a copy of this book in exchange for my fair and honest review.

No comments: