Sunday, July 15, 2012

Weeks Twenty-Seven and Twenty-Eight in Review

So I missed a week on my weekly recaps.  At least I had a good excuse...vacation on the beach.  And while I had Internet access, I had better things to do than blog. :-)

Week Twenty-Seven was a week of endings.  My last day with GCADV was July 6th.  It was a good two-year experience and I am proud of the work we were able to do in less than ideal circumstances.  Georgia is a tough state to do public health work in.  With 159 counties, you have 159 little fiefdoms and they don't like to do things the easy way.  But, we persevered and once the grant officially ends in November, the project will be looked on as a success.  I value the wonderful people I met.  The organization is made up of women who are true champions for women and work tirelessly to make sure their needs are met.  It's not easy work by any stretch and the people who work in the field are true heroes.

Last week was all about relaxation and vacation.  I had a couple of days that I went from PJ's to swimsuit back to PJ's.  That's the mark of a truly relaxing vacation.  I played by the pool, ate great seafood, read until my eyes couldn't stay open, walked on the beach and just simply relaxed.  It was so nice to spend time with my family just enjoying each other's company without an agenda.  I was sad to see it end but am looking forward to my new adventure that begins tomorrow.

Food-wise, the last two weeks haven't been great (vacations will do that).  Hopefully this week won't be too bad. I am actually going to be doing a good bit of research into gluten-free eating.  I know I am not gluten-sensitive and don't have celiac disease but I've been hearing lots about the benefits to going gluten-free so I'm going to do some additional research (I'm a big nerd) and then going to see what I can come up with.  I've seen tons of recipes on Pintrest so hopefully I can find things that fit my criteria...healthy, easy, and tasty.  I'll keep you posted.

It was neat spiritually to be at the beach with my mom last week.  She is my spiritual mentor and we are on the same Bible reading plan.  It was neat to get to talk with her about the book of Isaiah and the different things we found that spoke to us.  I love the book of Isaiah and every time I read it, I find something new.  I've never seen many of the cautionary tales before.  I've always focused on the prophesies related to Christ's coming - I've glossed over the others in the past.  I absolutely love how Scripture comes alive each time it's read.  I love that God thinks enough of us as His children that He wants to continue teaching us new things.

I think it's off to bed now.  My new job has created the need for a new schedule.  I will now be leaving the house at the time I used to get up.  That's going to take some adjusting.  :-)  Until next time...

No comments: