Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Daily Gifts of Grace - Book Review

Daily Gifts of Grace is a little devotional book of writings from the women behind the "Women of Faith" tour.  It includes devotionals from Patsy Clairmont, Lucy Swindoll, Lisa Whelchel, Joni Eareckson Tada and more.  I haven't finished the book entirely since I want to use it throughout the year.  But, I selected a few dates at random so I could get a sense of the "meatiness" of the devotions.  What I found was an entirely mixed bag.  Some, maybe even the majority of those I read, were "fluffy" and didn't do much for me.  A few were deeper and gave me something to think about.  I'll be interested to see how my opinion changes from day to day.  One thing that concerns me a little is the price.  Close to $20 for daily devotional is a little pricey in my opinion.  I know from the way the outer cover is designed that it is being marketed as a gift book.  It would be a great gift for a new female believer but because of the cost, that isn't really practical (at least for my budget).  Maybe the publisher would consider a cheaper, paperback version.

All in all, it's a nice little devotional book for a new believer but it's not really going to do much for anyone looking for a deep, thought-provoking devotional.  I am going to use it at work during 2012 but after that, will probably give it away.

Note:  Thomas Nelson Publishers gave me a copy of this book in exchange for my fair and honest review.
Score:  2.5 bookmarks out of 5.

No comments: