Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Streams of Consciousness

(This will ramble so just bear with it)

I truly love how God works in amazing ways. This week started the "true" insanity at work and yesterday was somewhat stressful. I was kind of crabby at work and a few outside things were happening that compounded everything so it was just weird. But, last night, I was reading Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost for His Highest" as part of my quiet time and came across the greatest quote. "You have no right to complain 'O Lord, I am so exhausted.' He saved and sanctified you to exhaust you. Be exhausted for God, but remember He is your supply." Talk about an attitude adjuster. It gave me a whole new perspective on work. Plus, he sent me an awesome volunteer to help over the next two weeks as we shepherd 550+ people through the membership process. See, He was being my supply and I hadn't even taken time to thank Him for it. Needless to say, I had a whole new attitude at work today and the day was marvelous. No less busy but with the different perspective, it was a good busy.

God is also so cool in how I see people getting excited about what God is doing at Brook Hills. People are working through what David is teaching in their own personal quiet times and prayer closets and are beginning to see that David isn't trying to beat us up. He is trying to equip us to get about God's business. God intends for the local church to be the body of Christ to the nations and gave us the fullness of Christ for that purpose. (Check out Ephesians 1:15-23 for more detail). We are so spiritually illiterate that we get caught up in comparing whether we are as good or as radical as the next guy and miss the whole freakin' point. God wants to use us as part of the local body to not only win Bham but the whole world for Him. We have to be willing to strip off the junk and deal with our crap and let God restore us as we are used by Him. We'll never be a "finished" product this side of Heaven but we NEED to spend time with God and let Him identify what needs to be changed. David is doing what a pastor is called to do...preach the Word. The Holy Spirit is convicting people (I know He has me) through David's messages but if conviction didn't happen week in and week out, how would we be any different?

I also marvel at how God is putting together a team for South Africa. As of two weeks ago or so, we had less than 6 people signed up including me and my co-leader. As of today, we have a full team and have had to close registration. Praise the Lord!! One lady doesn't yet know she's going. Her husband is giving her the trip as a Valentine's Day present. How cool is that?! She gets a global trip for Valentine's Day. That's the kind of husband I want. I sense God moving in an awesome way in how this team is developing. Since what we are doing is new, we have no idea what to expect but we also have a wonderful blank canvas to work with. We'll come back to the US with what works and what doesn't and be ready to send 10 more teams in 2010. Just one more step in reaching Sub-Saharan Africa for God and seeing His glory shine in all nations.

If you're still reading, thanks for putting up with the randomness. Sometimes the worst part about living alone is being so full of God-stuff to share and having no one to share it with. I feel better now that I've gotten it all out.

No comments: