Monday, November 17, 2008

Global Missions Health Conference

Got back from Louisville on Saturday night after spending 2+ days immersed in a conference full of public health professionals who think like I do. What a concept and a blessing! I have been very discouraged lately because most of the professional organizations I have belonged to in the past have had a very, very liberal view of the world and were very humanistic in their approach to problem-solving. Well, God provided a wonderful opportunity for me to go on this trip and I learned so much about medical missions but also about the wonderful professional organizations that are out there for Christian healthcare professional who desire to serve God and the world. Woo-Hoo!!

I do come back with several prayer requests. First and foremost, I will be co-leading a trip to South Africa in July. Yes, for those of you keeping track, that does mean a 22 hour plane ride. Am I nuts? No, I'm obedient. God is calling me to lead this team for some reason I can't really fathom. But, I'm doing it so I'm trusting He will provide both financially and in the unexplainable peace He promises. For those of you who are prayer warriors, maybe we should start praying for the flight now. :-)

The second request is job related. I came across a wonderful organization (Global Refuge International) that has jobs available. They are a Christian non-governmental organization dedicated to stopping human trafficking and violence against women and international disaster relief. They have US-based jobs open and the hiring woman was at this conference and we had a long talk. I am e-mailing her this week to see about more details. I would appreciate prayers for discernment as to what God would have me do. I still have a heart for AZ but I'm not sure a job would make itself available. I will end up where God wants me but I need wisdom to figure out where that is.

All in all, it was a great weekend conference and if anyone wants more details, just ask. All I ask is that you don't complain about anything in front of me. After being surrounded by medical missionaries who are on the front lines in some of the worst places in the world, our problems are so tiny I get frustrated hearing complaints. Just fair warning if I get snippy with you. :-)

No comments: