Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Though My Heart is Torn - A Book Review


From the Back: Settling into a simple life in the majestic Blue Ridge mountains, Lonnie and Gideon O'Riley have finally found happiness after the rocky start to their marriage.  The roguish bluegrass musician has fallen in love with his gentle wife and the God she serves, and Lonnie rests secure in his tenderness for her and their young son.  Then a heartless ruse interrupts their peace, bringing them back to Rocky Knob - and forces them to face the claims of Cassie Allan, a woman who says she is Gideon's rightful wife.  As Gideon wades into the depths of his past choices, Lonnie is stunned by the revelations.  She has no choice but to navigate this new path, knowing that surviving the devastating blow will take every ounce of strength she has.  While Gideon's guilt and his bitterness toward Cassie threaten to burn up his fledgling faith, Lonnie wrestles to find the courage to trust the God who brought them together in the first place.  Will their hard-earned love be able to conquer all?

Synopsis:  This book starts where the first book in the series (Be Still My Soul) ends.  Lonnie and Gideon have settled into life with Jebidiah and Elsie, the lovely couple who took them in and helped them learn to be husband and wife.  Life is simple and sweet for Lonnie, Gideon and baby Jacob.  That simplicity and sweetness is shattered when Lonnie and Gideon are summoned back to Rocky Knob under the pretense that Lonnie's mother is ill.  While in Rocky Knob, they are confronted by the family of Cassie Allan and the local ministers who produce paperwork showing Gideon and Cassie are legally married.  Unbeknownst to Gideon, Cassie never followed through with the annulment paperwork and now is marriage to Lonnie is invalid.  Left with no other option, Gideon and Lonnie's marriage is annulled, Gideon moves in with Cassie and Lonnie moves back to live with Jebidiah and Elsie.  Gideon cannot stand Cassie and lives with her in name only.  Lonnie is devastated and is trying to figure out how to live without the man she's fallen in love with.

My Review:  I really enjoyed Be Still My Soul so I jumped at the chance to review the second book in the series.  While I loved this book just as much, I will warn you, there were times I wanted to throw it up against the wall because I didn't like where the storyline was headed.  Of course, that's the mark of a good book in my opinion so there's that. :-)  I thought Lonnie and Gideon's characters have both come a long way in this book.  Lonnie is more strong-willed, standing up to her family instead of cowering in fear, and that's a good thing.  Gideon is calmer and more likable in this book than in book one.  I found myself feeling sorry for him several times throughout the book.  This book definitely shows the long-term impact that foolish decisions can play in our lives.  Joanne Bischof also introduces a new character or two in this novel that pave the way for book three.  I still wanted the story to end differently here so I'm holding out hope for book three!  This is an enjoyable read with a sweet story and contains characters you'll find yourself drawn too.

Score: 4.0 bookmarks out of 5.

Extras: Author's WebsiteMore Info/Buy the BookRead Chapter OneAuthor's Bio

Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers gave me a free copy of this book in exchange for my fair and honest review.

No comments: