Saturday, September 10, 2011

It's Not About Me - Book Review



Synopsis: Pop culture and psychobabble tell us to make ourselves the center of the universe in order to be happy. Churches have communicated the false idea that God exists to give us all that we selfishly want. In this book, Max Lucado reminds us that it's not about us, it's all about God. It is through this shift in thinking that we can truly live an unburdened, happy life.

Review: I intially selected this little book because I thought it was a new Max Lucado book. Turns out it is a title I was unfamiliar with. Either way, I'm glad I requested it. This book is a great reminder from the title to the last page, that this life is not about us. Our lives are supposed to be about reflecting God's glory. Lucado repeatedly uses Scripture to make his points about how we are supposed to live our lives. We should be like Moses in Exodus 33, asking God to show us His glory. We should want God Himself more than the things of God. Lucado also consistently talks about God's character and characteristics, writing about His strength, His love, and His power. God has all the characteristics (and always has) and chooses to share them with us. According to Lucado (using Scripture as back-up), we as Christians are to reflect God's glory like a mirror. I love this imagery. This idea is so simple yet so profound.

While this book doesn't really reveal any great new theology, it's a great reminder of how we should live our lives. What I like about this book is the way Lucado imparts his wisdom without sounding preachy. When talking about habits/behaviors that prevent us from reflecting God's glory, Lucado uses himself for the examples. Overall I'm glad I requested this little book. I'm going to add it to my bookshelf so I can pull it out and re-read it from time to time.

Thomas Nelson Publishers gave me a free copy of this book in exchange for my review.

No comments: