Saturday, December 4, 2010

Book Review - Love's First Bloom

This was a new one for me...historical fiction. I'm not normally a fan of historical fiction, I find them boring. This book was a pleasant surprise. The main character, Ruth Livingston is the daughter of a preacher who spends his time working with prostitutes. During his work, he is accused of and tried for murder of one of the women he worked with. To protect his daughter, he sends her off to live in another town. Enter a newspaperman trying to resurrect his newswriting career. Ruth is determined to keep her secret, Jake is determined to find out if she is the missing daughter.

I won't spoil the rest of the book, but suffice to say, it is a sweet story with characters that are genuinely likeable. The author, Delia Parr, spent time developing both main characters and you came to understand why each react they way they do to the twists and turns in the novel. Being a hopeless romantic, I loved the way Jake worked behind the scenes to protect Ruth.

The ending was a bit contrived but not totally unrealistic. I definitely enjoyed this book and will be looking for more of Delia Parr's work. I'm willing to give more historical fiction a try.

Bethany House Publishers provided me a free copy of this book in exchange for my fair and honest review. I received no other compensation.

No comments: