Monday, April 19, 2010

Book Review

I got Max Lucado's You Can Be Everything God Wants You to Be in the mail from Thomas Nelson. It's a small little book, perfect to give as a gift to someone graduating from high school or someone who needs a little self-esteem pick-me-up. Lucado uses excerpts from one of his other books (Cure for the Common Life) to comprise this book. It is a great summary of the unique qualities God gave each of us and how we are to use those qualities in His kingdom. He reminds the reader several times that God gave each of us skills, talents and passions and He expects us to use them. I think it's a great little book to help young people trying to figure out who they are in the world. I think a lot of times we get caught up in trying to be who our parents or teachers or friends want us to be and miss using our God-given gifts to be who God wants us to be. This book was a neat little reminder to stop and remember that what we do is supposed to be for Him, not someone else.

While this is a great little book for graduates, it's not overly helpful for those of us past high school or college. As a 30-something adult, it came across as a little cheesy. But, I had the good fortune to learn many of the lessons in this book years ago. If you know people struggling with who they are or whose they are, this book could be helpful.

I am a member of Thomas Nelson Publishers Booksneeze program. As such, Thomas Nelson provided me with a free copy of this book in exchange for my review of the book.

No comments: