Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year, New Goals, New Insights

I had a nice long post typed out this afternoon and the computer froze and ate it. See, the network was down at work and since everything I had to do today was network related, I couldn't do jack. So, I decided to blog. Well, with the network guy in San Diego and helping people out by phone, they shut off the whole system without saying anything to anyone. I lost everything I had typed. I'll try and re-create some of it but some of it will stay gone...oh well, such is life.

I have decided to go with the rest of the blogosphere and not make resolutions. I'm making goals but nothing is set in stone. Anytime I set anything into stone, God comes in and rearranges the furniture (see quote below for explanation). My goals generally revolve around three areas: spiritual, physical and financial. The financial one is pretty obvious. I am graduating soon (cue the Hallelujiah Chorus!!) and will be searching for a job. That new job will pay more than I am currently making which will help out in financial goal #2, paying down credit card debt. I royally put myself into a hole and am diligently working to pay it all off. I am also avoiding putting new charges on and am only purchasing things I truly NEED.

My second area is physical. I am not focusing on weight per se, I am focusing on eating better and getting exercise. If I lose weight in the process, great but I refuse to be bound to numbers on a scale. But, I have a horrible family tree when it comes to heart disease, diabetes and the like so I figure now's as good a time as any to make important changes. I will also feel better in the long run.

Final area is spiritual. I have a goal to read the Bible completely over the next year. I've done it before but it's been a few years and with all the potential changes over the next year, I think this will be a good time to see what God will reveal. I'm also hoping to continue to grow the discipling relationship I've begun and see how God chooses to use both of us for His Kingdom. One of the biggest areas I see God working in my life in 2009 is in the area of trust. I have to trust in Him and Him alone to provide a new job once I am to that point. While my heart's desire is to work with the TO in AZ, He may have something else entirely planned. I am open to that, I just have to be comfortable in His timing and provision. To that end, I found a great Scripture reference this evening as I was having my quiet time.

It is Psalm 62:5-8
"My soul, wait in silence for God only, for my hope is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be shaken. On God my salvation and my glory rest; the rock of my strength, my refuge is in God. TRUST IN HIM AT ALL TIMES, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us."

What a great set of verses. I've found my first Scripture to memorize for '09. Also found a great quote that I mentioned above. It so fits why I've decided to make goals and then let God rearrange as He sees fit.

"Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on; you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make any sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of - throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were being made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself."
— C.S. Lewis

This is such a great quote by C.S. Lewis. He and A.W. Tozer manage to take words and make them say the most amazing things. If you haven't read Tozer and Lewis, I highly recommend them. Tozer is a bit heavy but well worth the struggle to get through it. To steal a line from a friend, I'm a construction zone. :-)

No comments: