Thursday, February 28, 2008

What's Next...

Since coming back from Arizona in October, I've felt a pull to figure out some way to work with Native American populations full time. I was blessed to be introduced to Dr. Judy Thierry, the national Maternal and Child Health director for the Indian Health Service (IHS). While she was a wonderful person to contact and meet in person, she told me there are very few non-clinical jobs available at IHS. So, I came away from that encounter encouraged but discouraged at the same time.

Well, fast-foward a few months and lo and behold, I get an announcement about an Emerging Leaders Program at IHS. They are looking for people interested in public health (hey, that's me), possessing a bachelor's or masters' degree (hey, me again!) to apply for a two-year program in Rockville, MD. Could this possibly be God opening the door for me? Well, I read through the application and it looks doable. So, over the objections of my advisor (he really doesn't understand callings), I have applied. The application went off yesterday (2/27) and I hope to hear something positive back from them. While it won't be Sells, it will get me into the system and who knows what else God might have planned.

No comments: